Friday, May 29, 2009

Give me some homegrown peaches please

On my way to work today I noticed a semi-truck driving next to me. I could tell it was refrigerated and was carrying some sort of produce. That got me thinking of what I like to call the "Mexican Extended Produce Life Dichotomy." Let me explain...
Say a man owns a peach orchard in Mexico and sells the fruit it bears to the US for resale. He picks his fruit on a Wednesday and it ships out the next day. I buy that fruit on Saturday and take it home. Meanwhile out in my backyard I have a peach tree (yes I understand that it's stupid to have a peach tree and yet still buy peaches from the store but I had to make a parallel somehow. Give me a break) and I picked some peaches off my tree on Saturday, the same day I bought the mexi-peaches from the store. Common sense says that the mexi-peaches should, therefore, go bad before my peaches. But no that's not how it happens. They usually outlast my peaches by a day or three. Explain this to me. What is the big secret behind the everlasting Mexican produce? Because this doesn't happen with just peaches my friends. It happens with tomatoes and other produce as well.
The way I see it, there's a ratio phenomenon going on. Fruit grown here in the US lasts half as long as fruit grown in Mexico. That's a 2:1 ratio on time taken to go bad in Mexico's favor. So what's the big secret? How do they do it? What is it that the Mexican soil has that ours doesn't? Does it have to do with fertilizer? Should we start fertilizing our soil with bean and rice compote? Or is it the sheer fact that the US really doesn't produce anything of it's own that has the ability to outlast foreign products (way to go General Motors)?
You know what I think? I think it's about time we took some initiative and grew our own damn peaches. Screw Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. I think maybe its because Mexico's fruit has preservatives? Can they do that to produce? I know nothing about growing food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You two are crazy!

    ReplyDelete